Manson Creek, British Columbia, Canada
Map Goldseekers Fishing Trails Live Camera
During the Omenica Gold Rush, Robert Howell discovered coarse placer gold on Manson Creek on July 5 1871. The communities Manson Creek, Howellton and Dunkeld were established soon after. Howelltown, built on Discovery Bar was at first the largest and became the capital of the Omineca. Dunkeld built on upper Lost Creek was the site of a small theatre. Manson Creek, at the bottom of Kildare Gulch had for a time three saloons and became the government centre with the Post Office and Gold Commissioners offices.
Of all the old communities established in the Omenica Goldfields only Manson Creek remains today.The old Gold Commissioners Office/Post Office building vintage 1871 still stands at it's original site. Manson Creek has changed much over the years. During the 1930's an even greater Gold Rush revived the community as it shifted closer to the new Hudson's Bay Trading Post established in 1936.
In the 1980's Manson Creek again experienced a surge of placer and lode gold prospectors when gold prices soared record highs. Forty to Fifty crown residential lots were surveyed and sold quickly. In 1981 an elementary school was built and remained for only two year when it was closed due to Government cutbacks. The late 1980's were hard on the community of Manson Creek. A drop in business and family squabbles led to the bankruptcy of the store. A few years later the property was donated to the newly formed Manson Creek Historic Society.
Wolf Ridge General Store opened in 1993 to serve Manson Creek after several years of having no stores. It has quickly grown from a few shelves of canned food to a full service General Store, Post Office and Gas Station. 2008 has again seen gold reach record highs bringing renewed interest in the placer gold fields discovered so long ago.

MapGoldseekersFishingTrailsLive Camera

vic@mansoncreek.com

©copyright 2008